I meant to post this weekend; Really I did . . . .
. . . but several things conspired against me. First, Time-Warner Cable came in and gave us a new converter box Friday; which promptly lost us our Internet service until I spoent half of Friday fixing it.
Then I got up early this morning to post a bit late, and saw the news on the earthquake in Sumatra. The 9-point-Zero earthquake in Sumatra. The earthquake that moved the entire island of Sumatra 100 yards to the southeast.
The earthquake that sent a wall of water careening around the Indian Ocean as high as 143 feet, killing as many as 12,000 people so far. Twelve-Thousand-Human-Beings.
Now, you might wonder why I'm so freaked out about this tsunami halfway around the world. Two reasons: (1) The Marine base at Diego Garcia is right in the middle of the Indian Ocea, and only three feet above sea level (So I'm worried for any friends I might have out there), and . . . .
(2) the Island of Mauritius is not far from Diego Garcia. That's my wife's (Ariane's) birthplace. Got a lotta family there that I've met and like personally.
And we haven't heard a peep out of either island since the tsunami.
The Air Force is calling it "technical difficulties."
Pray hard, everyone. I certainly am.
~~~John~~~
No comments:
Post a Comment