Day By Day



Thursday, July 17, 2008

You May Have Noticed I've Been Posting Less Lately . . . .

Well, just a Bit less, anyway . . . .

Welcome to the Nursing Shortage 2008. Here in beautiful South Texas the economy is thriving and the housing market continues to boom. It's no small coincidence that we have one of the lowest tax rates in the country -- hell, no state income tax at all. So jobs are abundant and plentiful. Texas employers are recruiting all through the Katrina impact zone for construction workers for South Texas. Some road work has even been delayed due to a shortage of trained construction workers.

San Antonio alone has a ridiculous number of hospitals, medical clinics, nursing homes, and skilled nursing facilities. Just by working Temp Agencies like NursFinders a nurse with a modicum of skills can work until they drop. This week alone I've worked 36 hours at a downtown hospital (night shift); then this morning I turned around and started 3-ten hour shifts at my Dialysis Clinic. Then this Saturday I'll work 2 back-to-back shifts at the Hospital.

To pull off this small trick I have to work two of the days this week around the clock. Like today -- I got off the hospital job working all night, then worked all day at the clinic.

I'll do this again Saturday, in reverse order. So if I only post once a dy instead of three times, you know why.

By the way, if you know a teen-ager looking for a career, recommend Nursing.

Please.

~~JD~~

No comments: