Day By Day



Saturday, January 06, 2007

A Short Rant About the Movies . . .

WARNING -- ONCOMING RANT!!! BATTEN THE HATCHES! HIDE THE WOMMENFOLK!!! SHELTER THE CATS AND DOG!!! FLEE FOR YOUR LIVES

I just finished a post (below) about some of the movies I've seen over Christmas, and it got me to thinking. As I was typing up that post, the movie Munich by Steven Spielberg was on HBO. It's a good movie; and I remember reading and enjoying the book it was based on. So, generally speaking, I like the movie Munich.

However, the movie always sticks out in my mind for three reasons. First, there's a fairly graphic sex scene at the beginning of the movie. Second, the assasination of the Dutch hooker/assasin with the full frontal nudity it involves. Third and finally, the very graphic sex scene at the end of the movie.

Since when did seeing a "Spielberg Movie" involve full frontal nudity and graphic sex?

This seems to be the new trned in Hollywood, unfortunately. Viggo mortenson and John hurt, two of my favorite actors, were in the recent A History of Violence. It's an excellent movie in which Mortenson plays an ex-hitman who has "retired" to the rural life. This is another movie that needs Oscar consideration, in my opinion.

But I wouldn't recommend it to you unless you can stomach both a graphic oral sex scene in the beginning of the movie as well as an equally graphic rape scen 2/3rds of the way through the film.

I suppose that just goes to show how deperately out-of-touch the Hollywood types are. If they think graphic sex is a necessary indgredient for a hit movie, that's a sad commentary.

I expected better of Spielberg, though -- but with the potty-mouths on those kids in E.T., I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised.

End of Rant -- return to your regularly scheduled lives now.

~~JD~~

No comments: