Weather and Forecasts
We had a little excitement here last week in the form of an ice storm. South Texas seems to lose it's collective mind whenever cold weather comes calling, and this was no exception. The TV meteorologists immediately moved into Full Panic Mode, prompting native San Antonians to descend en masse on the local Wal-Mart to buy bottled water, fireplace logs, and canned goods. I personally was involved in a feeding-frenzy like furball of shoppers trying to get fireplace logs at our local Wal-Mart.
Naturally, Ariane and I pretty much ignored the doom-and gloom warnings. We've been through Chicago winters, after all. So when they started sending people home early Monday afternoon, I told them to send everyone else before me.
So they did, and I drove home at 5pm admiring the cars in the ditches, the backed up traffic, and the pretty red-and-blue lights lining the interstates. One thing about South Texas drivers; (a) they drive too fast, (b) they'd rather die than yield the right-of-way, and (c) they have no idea how to drive in inclement weather. The least little disruption from "clear skies and sunny" and there's accidents a-plenty!
So on my way home I stopped for the fireplace logs in the aforementioned "furball", and settled in for a long winter's nap. Ariane had to work Tuesday morning and they were already beginning to talk about closing the interstates overnight, so she went to stay with another employee who only lived a block away.
For the next two days I ended up being one of five employees (out of almost 40) who showed up for work. School was cancelled; the Interstates were closed; and I drove merrily to work, using the techniques I've learned over a lifetime of living in the North. By Thursday we were back to half-staff; and by Friday it was business as usual.And, of course, today it's clear blue skies and beautiful weather; typical South Texas. (Sigh.)
***********************************************************
Meanwhile, it was confirmed Friday -- I'm having surgery Wednesday February 7th. I've got a small to moderate sized abdominal hernia that I seem to recall getting during one of our moves about 10-15 years ago. This is good in that most hernias are Inguinal (in the groin area) and more complicated) -- mine's relatively simple and straightforward.
I have my appointment with the anesthesiologist on January 30th to get final approval, but barring anything unexpected popping up, it's a done deal. I expect to be out of work that week and return to work the next Monday. It'll be my second surgery in my life if you count the Lasik on my eyes three years ago. However, it'll be the first time I've ever had actual General (completely out) anesthesia, so that's a little scary right there. And there's always the question of recovery times being as accurate as advertised, which is also scary. However, being stubborn as a damned mule is a great motivator, so that's in my favor.
I think.
~~JD~~
No comments:
Post a Comment