Day By Day



Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Move Continues, Part I

I should mention, though, that I'm fifty years old this year (!!!), and I'm really getting too old for this crap.

Day one of the move consisted of (a) Julian begging off for Finals this week, (b)Ariane delayed for the first week of Nursing Classes, leaving (c) tired old Daddy Cat alone humping several hundred pounds of accumulated books and furniture up and down a flight of stairs each way.

Peachy!

My lumbar areas and right knee are singing a song of pain to me right now. They've been singing the same song since Monday; it's starting to get monotonous.

However, the bulk of the move is completed. We rented a truck Tuesday and did the major hauling then. Today is loading (and unloading; and re-loading; and unloading; and re-re-loading . . . ) the cars ad infinitum, whilst cleaning out the old apartment. Ariane and I are both clean freaks. We've never left any place we've left in less than spotless.

Good thing we both have station wagons, eh? There is indeed, method to our madness.

Funny Story of the Move: we've saved a bit of money and we're buying quite a bit of new furniture. We realized when we were thinking about getting the house that most of our stuff was Sauder furniture from Wal-Mart; which while it looks pretty, moves poorly and isn't much to show for twenty years of marriage. We found a LOT of furniture stores having sales, including Pier One, World Market, and Bombay Furniture (which is going out of business and has really maximized our buying power when everything is 70% off!

When we went to pick up our living room stuff Tuesday at World Market, this little (and I mean little -- 5'6", maybe 120 pounds) cute blonde clerk walked over with me to get our tables, which are all topped with slate. Slate is very durable, very pretty, and damned heavy -- each one of these tables must weight 150 pounds easy. I asked the clerk if she wanted to get us a dolly.

She smiled one of those sideways smiles country folks do. "Dolly? We don't need no dolly. I'M your dolly today." With that she slung the two biggest tables under her arms and strode to the door, as I struggled to slide the smallest one along the floor.

When Ariane saw how heavy these things were, she almost had a stroke thinking of our little "dolly" just hefting them like they were styrofoam. "She was great to help you with these!"

"Great, hell!" I said. "I'm bringing Julian here tonight, I'm introducing them, and I'm going to get them married! I want this Supergirl in my Gene pool! I want my grandkids to be able to carry grandpa to bed!"


Ariane found this amusing in the extreme. I was being serious!

The ugly part of the move; Internet connectivity will be severely limited until Time-Warner gets here a week from Saturday. Eep!

~~JD~~

No comments: