Day By Day



Thursday, December 13, 2007

Winter Creeps In On Little Wet Feet

The storm that's slamming New England currently with snow and freezing rain brushed by San Antonio Monday night. Brushing by gracefully like an old lover, she bumped lightly past the greater South Texas area and left everything cold, wet, and dripping with possibilities. Traffic slowed to a standstill Tuesday morning as if in awe of the might storm tiptoeing past; and pedestrians fell to sidewalks as if bowing to the storm's might.

Although they should try not to land on their butts when they bow. Painful.

We've had a couple of days in the 40's and one night in the 30's -- but not really unseasonal weather. I've worn my coat one day so far, and a sweatshirt the rest of the time, which is more than sufficient. I laugh quietly at the south Texas natives who shiver and make such a fuss about the 50 degree weather, like they're enduring Ice Station Zebra conditions. Most of them are the same ones that complained the air conditioning wasn't cool enough in the summer -- no they complain it's too cold. (It's been set at 69 degrees the entire time without change.)

**********************************************************************

I have the radio station on to the "Official San Antonio Christmas Music Station", playing constant Christmas music. It's been a hard year, and I feel the need for a little boost to my merry-making this time around. Christmas comes but once a year, and resistance is futile -- it'll come whether we brick up the chimney or not. Might as well get in the spirit and enjoy it. I could certainly use the Cheer.

I think that's the reason so many Grinches appear about this festive time of year. They're overworked, overstressed, short on time, short on money, and short of temper. They feel like they just don't have time for the holidays and try to postpone them mentally, and end up missing them entirely.

Don't resist. Eat a candy cane for me today.

~~JD~~

No comments: