Friday Afternoon,San Antonio Spring Day
It's been a long, cool winter in San Antonio; which is to say 50's during the day, low 40's to high 30's at night. Periodic rains keep everthing cool and moderately damp, and that's more or less how it's been all winter.
Until today.
When I went to work at 4:00am this morning it was mid-50's and damp outside from another night's sporadic rains. When I came out at 5:30 pm it was bright and sunny, with one of those beautiful south Texas wispy clouded skies that makes you just wish you could gaze into those light, wispy pieces of heaven forever without going blind -- like ice cream for your tired old retinas. The parking garage was still cool, like it had been in the morning, but as I drove down towards the exit I began to feel it.
Warmth. Heat. Warm, luxuriant heat like rich, velvety chocolate pudding that flowed velvety over my outsretched arm from the car window and curled back upon itself, stirring the hair on my arms in an almost senuous manner. San Antonio summer heat has no humidity like most people recognize it. The low (20%) humidity doesn't feel soggy and damp like the Chicagoland summers of my youth; it's liberating, invigorating, and energizing. Even with 98 degrees outside it felt wonderful.
I grinned like a chimpanzee. I rolled all four windows down and sang Biily Joel songs at the top of my lungs all the way to the gas station. The low humidity wicked away any persperation and kept me cool and dry as the hair on my arms did a hula dance in the car's slipstream.
I love this place.
~~JD~~
1 comment:
Hi! I found you at FF! Nice spot there, huh!
I would like to lie down and sleep.
Post a Comment