Day By Day



Saturday, September 01, 2007

John E. Long; 1928 - 2007

John Edward Long, of Centerville Iowa, passed away Friday, August 31, 2007 in Centerville. He was born February 13, 1928 to Roy E. and Rose (Espy) in Centerville and had been a resident of Centerville for 12 years, after retiring from Valparaiso, IN.










He was employed as an Accountant most of his life and a house painter after retirement and was a Chicago Cubs fan with an encyclopedic memory of the team. He was a veteran of the U.S. Army Air Corps in WWII, and traveled extensively in his work, listing addresses in Centerville IA, Valparaiso IN, Albuquerque NM, White Bear Lake MN, King of Prussia PA, Los Angeles and San Francisco CA, Chicago IL, and Tehran Iran at various times. He was the financial Controller for the Sears Tower construction project in Chicago.






He is survived by his ex-wife of 25 years, Sarah A. Long of Valparaiso; his sister Mrs. Joanne Terrones of Centerville; his brother Richard “Butch” Long of Centerville; sons: John D. Long of San Antonio TX; daughters Rose E. Long of Valparaiso and Kathleen Long of Norfolk VA; and four grandchildren.















He was preceded in death by his parents. In accordance with his wishes no memorial service will be held. Memorials may be sent to the American Cancer Society. Cremation arrangements have been entrusted to Schmidt Family Funeral Home. 641-856-8661








I last saw my Dad two weeks ago at his apartment in Iowa. One of the last things we talked about was when he said, "I just couldn't stop looking for that greener pasture. All those women I married, all those whores -- and the only one that was really worth a damn was your mother. I treated her like dirt, and she still was the best thing I ever found."

"If I'm sorry for anything, it's that. And the booze, of course, I just couldn't lay off the f***ing booze -- which was the real problem.""








Good-Bye, Dad.


~~JD~~

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

J.D. I am sorry for your lose. The tribute that you gave to your father is beautiful and very thoughtful. Thanks for sharing what your dad learned in life. Sincerely, Stacey

Dwight Williams said...

Aw no.

JD, I'm sorry.

Dammit...

Anonymous said...

My sympathies to you JD.

I lost my Mother last year and it was a difficult time. I didn't always get along with her. I missed her so much though after she passed away. I never told her how much she meant to me.

This is a wonderful tribute. God blesses you.