Day By Day



Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Afterglow

This -- right here, right now -- is my very favorite time of the year.

I'm sitting here on the couch, watching my brand-new copy of Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith. Last year it was a different movie I'd received for Christmas; and the year before, a different on than that. It's early evening, and the tree is all lit up.

(And if I wasn't working night shift in a few hours, I might well be lit up myself right now.)

There are ornaments on that tree I've had for years, and ornaments I've seen all my life. A Christmas Tree is like a time capsule you open once a year -- the things on it rarely change and remain forever evergreen, you should pardon the pun. There's the first real ornament I ever bought; a ceramic tabby cat wearing a bowtie and green vest, that I bought at Macy's in Augusta Georgia in 1984. There's the craft ornaments (rabbits, bears, and wooden toys) Ariane and I made from the arts-and-crafts section of Wal-Mart in Waynesville Missouri our first Christmas in the States in 1990. There's the rabbit in the calico dress atop the tree we bought at the Popcorn Festival in Valparaiso Indiana in 1992 when Julian was just a baby. (We had to buy it -- he locked onto that bunny with his 23-month-old death grip that toddlers get when they see something they want.) There's the pixie ornament my grandmother (Nana) had on her tree from sometime in the 40's or 50's that I inherited when she died a few years ago; as well as the ceramic handmade bells Nana made herself that tinkle gently as a cat brushes by them.

I swear, had she had more money than Bill Gates -- if I'd gotten this ornament alone I'd be just as happy.

The tree is lit; the balcony is ablaze with lights; the rush and anticipation of pre-Christmas has given way to the satisfaction of a well-enjoyed holiday. That perfect time between Christmas and New year's -- nothing to be done right now but enjoy the glow of after-Christmas lights.

The Christmas Afterglow, if you will.

Joy to the world, indeed.

I wish everyone could see the grin on my face right now -- you'd understand.

~~JD~~

No comments: