Day By Day



Sunday, December 04, 2005

YEE-HAW!!! -- IT'S CHRISTMAS TIME, PARDNER!!!



Okay; It's officially Christmas Season here at Casa Largo when I start posting weird pictures like this. Apparently it's one of Elvis' actual Christmas cards from when he was alive, sent to Fan Club members or something like that.

You gotta admire the guy's chutzpah. He certainly lived life on the edge.

Speaking of the Edge, the new Narnia movie is coming out this Friday. I have yet to see anything like a bad review of this wonder. I'm sooooooo very ready to see this, I may bust. Can't wait, just can't wait. Looks to be a great movie there.

Speaking of which, if you get a chance to swing by the Video Rental Store or see it on Pay-per-View, you really need to see a vastly overlooked movie from this past summer called Secondhand Lions. Haley Joel Osment seems a bit odd at that in-between age (between cute child star and actual adult actor), but any movie with Micheal Caine **AND** Robert Duvall in it bears watching, at least once.

The plot is this: Osment's mom (the lovely and engaging Kyra Sedgwick) is a cheap fllozy looking for a place to dump teeenaged-son Osment while she runs off for the summer with slick boyfirend of the moment. She dumps him on her two crazy bachelor uncles (Duvall and Caine) whom everyone thinks are bank robbers, because they're loaded, money-wise. Osment also meets his cousins and Aunt/Uncle who are trying to steal the money, just to keep it interesting.

Caine and Duvall are at theiur peak as the curmodgeonly unlces who spend incredible amounts of money on incredily ridiculous things, but never seem to work out the way they planned. (They buy a plane but don't know how to fly -- so they teach themselves, much to Osment's terror. They buy a lion just to shoot it, but Osment keeps it as a pet, much to the cousin's and boyfriend's terror.)

The end of the movie is a startling vindication of the uncles, which I won't ruin for you -- you just have to see how the uncles eventually end. It makes me burst out laughing every time I see it -- I'm grinning like a chimpanzee thinking about it now.

Highest Recommendation -- go, rent this already. You'll thank me for it.

~~JD~~

No comments: