Day By Day



Saturday, December 10, 2005

An Experiment it Shall Be!


I was thinking about the nature of 'blogging. Sometimes I blog once a day; sometimes once a week, or once a month. The urge to blog seems to come and go in cycles. However, if I ever want to do some serious writing, it seems like I need to develop serious writing habits -- like writing a little every day.

So, as annoying as it may seem, I'm going to try writing something every day. I'm in awe of folks like Matt Drudge (The Drudge Report) or Brian Maloney (of the Radio Equalizer) who write literal pages and pages every day.

Just takes discipline, I suppose -- so here goes:

It's a gorgeous 68 degrees in beautiful South Texas today. We've got the balcony doors open and the Christmas lights on. That magnificent "silky" feel to the air here is very present today, so I did my errands riding around with the windows open. It felt great.

We put up our tree and did the Christmas decorating last weekend. I love looking at our little tree, filled with so many memories. The tree itself we bought for $30.00 (a 7-footer!) at the Valparaiso IN Menards the winter of 2001. That was right after the bankruptcy of the business, and we barely had enough cash for a real tree. On a wild hunch I found this one at Menards for less than the cost of a real tree -- a little Christmas miracle of our own.

We have lots of handmade ornaments; from the stuff Julian has made in school over the years (he's always a bit mortified when we put up the paper chain he made in kindergarten) to the things Ariane & I made from Wal-Mart crafts our first Christmas together. Then there's the ceramic cat with poseable limbs I bought in Augusta GA in 1984; the ornaments I inherited from my grandmother when she died that I've loved all my life; the Santa with his pack of toys and dangling skates one of my students gave me in Missouri in 1992. Topping the tree is a bunny in a granny dress we bought at the Valpo Popcorn Festival in 1991 because it reminded me of my Aunt Marilyn, who we loved and desperately miss.

TONS of memories -- all of them good. I just love this time of year.

~~~JD~~~

No comments: