Writing Experiment, Day Two -- or, My own little personal Advent Calendar of sorts.

That Elvis and his wacky Christmas cards just crack me up! What ARE those things under the tree? Dolls? Monkeys in snowsuits? What?
Went to church today at Oak Hills; they're going to be open for business on Christmas Day with their regular hours and services for a Sunday. Max pointed out during the announcements that the San Antonio Express-News got the times wrong in their article about "Mega-churches" closing on Christmas, and corrected them. This kind of makes me wonder if the thing is something of a tempest in a teapot. It's no secret that newspapers and media organizations pick and run each others stories, and I can tell you from personal experience that they not only don't get their facts right sometimes -- they very frequently screw up the details and mangle the facts, espousing the first opinion they hear over what the truth of the matter may be.
So I wonder if this business of "Mega-churches" closing on Sunday Christmas has any truth to it at all. I saw in the Vidette-Times (and you can CLICK HERE to read that story as well) that Liberty Bible Church will be open for business on Christmas as well; only cancelling their 8:00am services to accomodate the choir members.
Seems reasonable, and probably not much of a story. Sounds a lot better if there's some silly-ass manufactured controversy to it, don't ya think?
This reminds me of a guy I knew who lived on my floor when I attented Indiana University. He was a journalism major, and I asked him why.
"Girls," he replied.
"Girls?," I asked?
"Yeah, man! The best babes are journalism majors -- and not a brain in the bunch."
"Let me get this straight," I asked. "You're going to the Ernie Pyle School of Journalism -- one of the best and most exclusive journalism schools in the country -- because the girls are beautiful and dumb?"
"And Easy -- journalism chicks will fall for just about any line, y'know."
I was thunderstruck. "You're kidding, right?"
"Naw, man!," he replied. "most people get into journalism because the pay's good, the chicks are easy, and it's not very hard to write stories all day."
I think of that guy a lot lately.
~~JD~~
No comments:
Post a Comment