Day By Day



Thursday, December 29, 2005

'Blog Miscellany and Vandalizing Santa Cow

A couple of brief things here. Two things on the 'blog, and a Christmas Cow.

First, I've re-enabled the Comments Section at the ends of each post. I originally turned these off a few months ago when the autobots discovered my blog and started leaving Spam Comments.

Fortunately, E-blogger (my site host) has developed a Word Verification protocol to defeat these Spam-bots. What it means for you is that when you choose to post a comment, you'll have to read the weird-looking word and type it into the box in able to post comments. A fair trade, I think.

Finally, I had some recognition for my little blog of some note that I want to share (or crow about; take your pick.) One of the 'blogs I list under the heading of "The News, As I See It Daily" is Brian Mulroney's Blog The Radio Equalizer. I've been a big fan of radio ever since my Grandma Glynn gave me an AM table radio for Christmas 1967. I used to listen to all the Chicago Radio Greats: Wally Phillips and Roy Leonard on WGN, Newsradio 78, WJJD, WIND -- I even discovered Rock-and-Roll on the great WLS at 890 on the dial. I remember drifting off to sleep many a year listening to WBBM Newsradio.

So you see why I have links to both Robert Feder'sChicago Sun-Times column on Chicago Radio as well as The Radio Equalizer. Radio's pretty much in my blood, if not my very DNA.

Anyway, about two nights ago I was scrolling down his list of favorite blogs to find Michelle Malkin's website (finally decided to link her on my own site; check it out on the left-hand side) when lo and behold; what to my wondering eye should appear but . . . Apocryphal EVIDENCE!!! -- my own little blog!. When I re-checked the next night, I'd been upgraded to a ~~Busy!~~ listing as well -- meaning Brian's reading my 'blog as I'm reading his.

Wow. I'm mildly famous, sort of.

Follow the links above or RIGHT HERE to confirm my delusional fantasies for yourself. I'm about 1/3rd of the way down on the right, under the listing Crank It Up To "11" -- way down past the ads.

How cool is that???



Finally, from the sublime to the absurd, the Vidette-Times back in my hometown of Valparaiso Indiana are reporting that Howie the Steer; the signpost and mascot for Kelsey's Steak House, was "vandalized" Christmas Eve.

As the photo above shows, one of the customers crafted a giant-steer-sized Santa Hat for Howie and stuck it on his head overnight. Howie is quite beloved in Valpo; the mayor of Valparaiso, my fellow classmate at Valpo High School Jon Costas, once (according to the TIMES "wrote a song in Howie's honor. Costas sang the tune at a Board of Zoning meeting, and at Saturday's move, after riding in on Howie's back.

You can read about that little adventure Right Here in the Northwest Indiana Times as well.

~~JD~~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In this day of war, crime and corruption, I was warmed by the tale of Howie the Cow.